The Westerly Library belongs to the statewide Ocean State Libraries (OSL) network so you can borrow from any OSL member library in the state of Rhode Island. Through our website you can search our catalog, request items and renew materials, and even pay your fines - but first you need a library card.
An OSL library card is free of charge to Rhode Island residents and residents of Stonington, CT. Nonresidents who own property in Rhode Island are also eligible for a free card. Valid ID and proof of address are required to obtain a library card. There is an annual fee of $155.00 for nonresidents who wish to have borrowing privileges or $25.00 for a local use card.
Young adults age 13 and older can sign up for a library card in the Teen Room. Parent/ guardian must be present or sign the library card application. Proof of residency is required to obtain a library card
Children age 12 and younger can sign up for a library card in the Children's Room. Parent/ guardian must be present, with valid photo ID and proof of residency.
As a way to encourage the prompt return of library materials so that others may enjoy them, the Westerly Public Library charges the following overdue fines:
- Adult books, magazines, CDs and audiobooks are 10¢ per day.
- Children’s books, magazines, CDs and audiobooks are 10¢ per day
- All DVDs, videos, and Playaways are $1.00 per day.
- Patrons may checkout up to 25 items at a time from the Westerly Library. 10 of which may be media items.
- Most materials circulate for 3 weeks including books, graphic novels, and TV Series.
- Movies and "Express" materials will circulate for 1 week.
Renewing Materials :
- The library will automatically renew most items twice as long as no other patron is waiting for the item. 2 days before the due date you will be notified via email if your item has renewed automatically or not. Each renewal will last an additional loan period (1 or 3 weeks depending on the item).
Renew in person
- Bring the item(s) and your library card to the Circulation Desk and we will renew them for you.
Renew by phone - Please have your library card handy whenever you call the library.
- Use the toll free automated Telephone Renewal Service, available 24 hours a day at 1-800-359-3090.
- Call the Circulation Desk at 401-596-2877 x930, during library business hours.
- Click on the link for Library Catalog.
- Select View Your Patron Record
- Enter the barcode number from the back of your library card (no spaces)
- Choose Checked Out
- Select the items you want to renew
- Click on Renew
- When finished click Logout in the upper right hand corner
How to receive Text Notifications:
You may sign up for text message notifications, to receive instant messages when your items are ready for pick up, overdue, or have been renewed.
To learn more and sign up click here. You will need your Library card, and Pin number.
If you have additional questions or would like more information contact the Circulation Department at 401-596-2877 x930. Make sure to have your library card number ready.